Tuesday, September 27, 2011

T. A. P. E. R.

Yesterday was Monday, Rest Day.  Today is the beginning of a new running week.  A new friend of mine, David S., commented on my blog yesterday and used the word
“T. A. P. E. R.”   He called it a “mind game” so as I set out on my easy 5 miles today, I wondered what he meant by T. A. P. E. R.   His comment inspired me and I wrote this blog in my head while running. 
 
And so, I thought about my tapering plan for this week during my run.  That, and relaxed ankles, allowing pelvic rotation, short stride and 180 cadence, arm swing on hills, all my ChiRunning mentors and friends, and on and on.  Oh, and of course, cool music on the ipod like Cold Play, Elton John, Rolling Stones, Aerosmith and Boston.  I like to multitask. 

This week, the plan is to run between 40 and 45 miles with two long back to backs, but not as long as last week’s.  Tomorrow, it will be a 15 miler out and back on the TRT from Kingsbury Grade to “the bench” towards Genoa Peak with my friends Ron and Ted and probably 3 or 4 dogs.  Then, on Thursday, I’ll do 10 to 12 on the Tahoe Meadows TRT towards Diamond Peak Ski Area.

Friday will be a 5 to 10 miler.  Saturday might be a waterskiing day.  I know Dave wants to get at least one more weekend in.  So somewhere between Saturday and Sunday I will have to find 10 miles.

I fully expected to be a bit slow on my run today even after the day off yesterday.  I just didn’t know if I’d recovered from the 11 on Sunday and the big 50 mile week last week.  Much to my surprise and joy, I found myself trotting easily along my well run route up behind my house to the creek above the green water tower.


If you click on "View Details" you can see my stats.  I LOVE my Garmin!

In fact, it was one of the fastest times I’d done this route that has over 700 feet of climb.  My heart rate stayed below 130 (not sure where that 180 was at the beginning - I think I was adjusting my HR monitor, either that or I had a run of PVC's - let's hope not!) and I easily averaged 10 minute miles with a best pace of 7:32 going downhill.  It was easy.  I smiled as I floated along.  My legs felt light and relaxed.  There was little tension in my right foot, my nemesis, and my constant focus of relaxation during every one of my runs.  How nice to run and enjoy a short distance during this long distance training!

I began thinking about my tapering plan and David’s “T.A.P.E.R.”  Ok, what could that mean to me? (what does it mean to him?) I thought I knew how to taper for a marathon, so I’m really just translating those principles to twice the distance, just higher mileage.  But what’s really intriguing about tapering is the mind game, indeed.  As I get closer to The Day, it's my mind that I have to contend with.  So here’s my version of T.A.P.E.R.  I’d love to hear yours!

T – Talk positively to myself and others about the event - be an inspiration.

A – Acknowledge that I’ve done the work and I’m ready.

P – Pray and prepare for the weather, for the morning’s activities, and my mind chatter.

E – Eat well and mindfully.

R – RELAX and Run like the wind!

1 comment:

  1. HOORAY CHERYL! I'd add another R...REST! It's just as important as the hard training, nutrition and all. Love the fact that your Garmin is set up in Spanish! ;)

    ReplyDelete