Thursday, September 8, 2011

GO SLOW - a battle with ego

I’m inspired by all of you who are supporting me in this!  Thank you for thinking of me and taking the time to read about my journey.  When I was young and thought I was immortal, my friends’ and family’s support didn’t impact me when I was training for something.  I think that means that I really didn’t appreciate that they wanted me to be successful.  I believed that I didn’t need the energy generated by those who cared about me to achieve things.  I just didn't value it.  OUCH.  Now, as age brings some wisdom, I realize that life is ONLY about the people who care about you.  It’s not the end result that matters so much as how you get there that describes success.  Sharing this journey publicly is a first for me in appreciating your energy and support.

As I begin this short documentary (the race is less than 6 weeks away – YIKES!) chapter, I realize how important the people in my life are. 

Ok, enough unoriginal writing.  Why is it that the corny stuff really does mean something?

This note is about my ego.  I guess blogging is about ego, tho, since it's about me!  Yesterday, Wednesday, I woke up excitedly ready to complete a 16 mile run, unrested.   On Tuesday I had run an easy, slow 4 miles and on Monday, a hilly quick 8.2 at 8,000 feet (the Mt. Rose loop, I call it.)   I felt good, but knew that 16 would be a challenge.  I decided to create my run using my several loops which consist of climbing about 2100 feet above my house for the first 6 miles, and then a long 10 mile gradual descent on the run back home.  Most of the run was on trail, but the last 6 would be on the Mt. Rose Highway and neighborhood roads.

A few miles in with Mt Rose in the background.


My strategy was to GO SLOW.  At the 4 mile mark, after a long steady climb, I was a full 10 minutes slower than my usual pace so I was good and proud of myself for keeping my strategy and sensing my pace.  I even stopped for a few minutes to chat with BLM workers at the Thomas Creek Trail Head about the work they were doing to regrade the dirt road to improve drainage.  I headed up the steeper trail towards Dry Pond. 



Start of the Dry Pond Loop at the Thomas Creek Trailhead.


Map of the Jones/Whites/Thomas Creek Trail System

Soon an older man ran past me on the trail.  His stride was long and inefficient.  His shoulders were tense and he was breathing hard.  I greeted him, but he didn’t reply as I moved over to let him pass.  I watched him struggle to maintain his speed and soon he slowed.  Soon, I caught him and breathing easily, passed him at my casual pace.  I said something like, "you slowed down a bit - great work!"  He said something, but I couldn't understand him.  Hmm, probably didn't like the fact that he was getting passed.  I could hear him breathing hard behind me and he tried to stay with me.

 The climb up to Dry Pond

For the next 2 miles up the mountain which is about 800 feet of climb, I could hear him struggle to keep up with me.  I would hear him close to my heels, then back away, and then close again, always his breathing labored and unsustainable.  I had told myself before I left that morning that on the steeper pitches I would walk and never exceed a PRE (Perceived Rate of Exertion) greater than 4 or 5.   My pace would always be conversational.  Now my pace was steady, gentle, even slower than what I would usually run this loop at a tempo pace, yet I clearly had abandoned my strategy today to GO SLOW and walk the steeper sections.  




By the time I was about a ½ mile from the top, I was breathing at a pretty good rate, still not stressed or fast, but running, not walking. 

Dry Pond with Mt. Rose Ski Area in the background

My friend, freeloading off my pace, had dropped off and at last I was free to really slow down.  (Don’t get me wrong – my ego was flattered to lead!)  Holy cow, I thought, MY EGO has certainly gotten the best of me today and I will be paying dearly later!

 the long run down the Mt. Rose highway - I chose this route to make sure I got the miles in

And sure enough, about 4 miles from home, my whole body was talking to me about how I had not kept to my strategy to GO SLOW!  I had succumbed to looking good running up that hill and passing that poor gasping man, and my ego had won.  So I walked twice for a few minutes during those last few miles.  It was hot, but I wasn’t injured and I had done it – over 2100 feet of climbing up to 8000 feet altitude, with a moving time of 3 hours and 23 minutes and an average pace of 12:30 minutes per mile.  Not bad for a training run on unrested legs. 

Next time, it would be a good exercise for me to not pass him back and simply follow him slowly up the hill.  My ego would lose, who I am would shine, and I would maintain my training strategy.  Oh gees, that would be too easy!

Rest is scheduled for tomorrow.  I hope that ego won't get in the way of that one!




5 comments:

  1. Cheryl, I'm so proud of you. You are my role model, my shinning light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a fabulous writer my Reno friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this blog! And as I've aged and gained wisdom myself, I have also learned how important it is to support other people, too, as well as appreciating being supported.

    Ego is such a huge factor in sport and can sometimes lead to so much trouble! My friend who had to prove that he could play the game of riding his horse into his horse trailer in front of all his other macho buddies is now paying for it by being paralyzed. Was losing his legs really worth showing off? An extreme example, but it runs a very similar parallel to your blog. Keep the ego in check and you ultimately shine so much brighter (and stay healthy for so much longer)!

    Great work, sis!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Cheryl...I love your blog! And this post couldn't be more on spot. I was laughing to myself as I read it..."Is she writing about MY ego?!"

    Then I realized that it would take me a few WEEKS to meet the goal of pulling back my pace. I can take so many (funny) lessons away today...in the pool, the bike and the run... When all is said and done, half the people my ego competes with probably DON'T EVEN NOTICE ME on the road or in the other lane.

    I will be in your corner throughout this new journey and the big challenge ahead of you in the next few weeks.

    Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone! Your comments really gave my ego a boost!!!

    ReplyDelete