Friday, September 16, 2011

ChiRunning Phoenix

My story about how I arrived at the decision to do a 50 mile race wouldn’t be complete without writing about ChiRunning.  For those of you who know me, you know that I recently became a Certified ChiRunning and ChiWalking Instructor.  Thoroughly learning and practicing ChiRunning has been life changing for me.  I would not be training for a 50 mile race without it.  So here's my "rising from the ashes" story of discouraged and injured running...

In my 30’s, I ran lots of long distance, even completed a couple of 50Ks and paced my boyfriend in several ultra events.  I was fairly fit.  Long distance running was a great way to stay fit and required less time than triathlon training.  Life served up multiple changes in career and living situations, and I wound up in my 40s unable to run much more than 3 or 4 miles and no more than 20 a week before I would get terrible shin splints and bad medial knee pain bilaterally.  In addition, I underwent two more knee surgeries, one an ACL reconstruction in 2001, and then another minor cartilage trimming several years later.  Most of my injuries were from snow skiing, but running didn’t help my knees feel any better.
Skiing the bumps on the Comet at Heavenly Valley February, 2011
Last summer, a girlfriend of mine, who incidentally lost 135 pounds using only diet and exercise, was reading the ChiRunning book by Danny DreyerI asked her about it, read a few lines and absentmindedly bought it on a whim.  I remember July 2, 2010 vividly.  I was reading the book as we drove home from the bay area.  Dave and I stopped at Donner Summit for a run.  I’d only read about 100 pages of the book.  I thought about some of the things I had read – specifically “loose ankles, and allowing the foot to float up.”  I tried it and was amazed at how easily I ran and how relaxed my legs were.  I was ecstatic!  Could this stuff really work? 

Two days later, on the Fourth of July, 2010, Dave and I hiked Mt. Rose and I continued to apply the ChiRunning principles.  The hike was miraculously easy.  I remember raising my arms in triumph as we reached the summit.  Dave had struggled to keep up with me!  I was hooked.  There really was something to this!

Six weeks later, I found myself in a ChiRunning workshop in Denver with Master Instructor Mary Lindahl, and eight months later, I completed all the requirements to become a Certified Instructor.

To say that ChiRunning transformed my life is an understatement and probably sounds corny, but is really true.  I know this sounds like a testimonial/ad for ChiRunning – so beit, but I wouldn’t be running between 40 and 60 miles a week without it.  I went from being resigned that I could never run long distance again, to thinking I could run an ultra.  Five months ago, I stopped wearing the custom made orthotics that I had always run with for 20 years.  Today, I run in either a minimalist shoe or a transition shoe for all my training miles.  I have lost 15 pounds, and although my percent of body fat is probably higher than it was 15 years ago, my weight is nearly the same.  I’m not injured and I LOVE to run.  And now, I see that I really could run for 12 hours and complete 50 miles because I know how to run correctly.

For the last year, the question has been: "Could I fully participate in competitive running and JUST enjoy it and not take myself too seriously?"   I think maybe "yes" now that the summer has been about immersing myself back into the running culture and community: Pacing my friend Ron at the American River 50 Mile,
Ron N. finishing the AR 50 Mile Race
then again for 30 miles at the TRT 100; racing in small local races and having a blast with 11 other sweaty men and women in two vans for 31 hours at the Hood To Coast 200 mile Relay race.  And now, 50 miles to top off the season.  It's ALL been FUN!

Dave and I at the start of the Hood to Coast 200 Mile Relay.  We were on the Stupid Fast Team!
The trail running community is fairly small, so I’m a newbie around here.   Or, as Ron has said, “a has-been” making a come back.  Yes, I’m a “has-been”, but I prefer a “Phoenix”!  Let’s just hope I don’t crash and burn again on October 15!


No comments:

Post a Comment