Sunday, September 18, 2011

Moments of Clarity - the week's report

I started my training this past week with what seemed to be a huge goal because it would be a repeat of last week – run at least 40 miles, preferably 45.   In addition, that goal included eating well, sleeping well, recovering well and enjoying it!  My only change this week was to run no longer than 12 or 13 miles which translated to runs no more than two and half hours long.  So the difference would be to sustain these longer runs more frequently during the week and be able to maintain the same mileage.  I thought that if I was successful carrying out this plan, then I could do a long run of at least 20 miles next week with my long distance training buddies, Ron and Ted.

My week began last Monday after an easy walking rest day on Sunday.  Monday was an out and back trail run for 8 miles with 1200 feet of climb at an easy pace.  The long climb up through the sage brush with Mt. Rose rising in front of me seemed restful.  I was amazed that I felt so comfortable climbing.  The more I relaxed, the easier it was. 

Up the rocky trail with a view of a bit of snow on Mt. Rose
 As I flew down the long, gradual decent back to home I had the realization that I could run for a very long time.  This was easy, my legs felt light.  Running this week would not be as difficult as I thought.

 Tuesday arrived with the realization that I must do at least 5 or 6 miles today in order to maintain my mileage if my plan was to do two more 10 mile runs at the end of the week. Also, I would be driving 5 hours to my sister’s house in the bay area to teach a ChiRunning workshop to her and a friend so I knew that I would need to get in a good run before I left.  Once again, I finished an easy 6 and ½ miles with almost 700 feet of climb.  My plan was falling in to place. 

Wednesday was an exhausting, but quite satisfying day of teaching ChiRunning to my sister and ChiWalking to her friend, a courageous woman with multiple medical issues and a serious functional challenge which limited her to walking only.  The suggested changes to her posture and feet alignment were significant as were changes to her cadence and stride length.  By the end of the workshop, she expressed how much easier it was for her to walk hills!  What an awesome reward for me.

At the end of the day, me and my sister had an engaging conversation about family issues and wound up opening a bottle of wine.  When her husband came home, he opened another.  Needless to say, I didn’t get a run in on Wednesday. 

That kind of worried me, but I knew I could make it up.  The next morning, Thursday, my sister and I went for a short, easy run.  I coached her throughout so that she could focus on the lessons she had learned the day before.  Three children later and a few pounds heavier, she is eager to get back into her size 6 jeans!  She loved the run and the coaching and was thrilled that she could run the entire three miles without stopping over hills she usually walked!  It was a great way to end my visit, and a few hours later, I started the 250 mile drive back home to Reno. 

I stopped at Donner Summit and ran a very slow 6 mile out and back over hilly trail at 8000 feet.  I was tired after the long drive and the run in the morning with my sister.  But once again, I could clearly see that I could finish whatever run I set out for myself this week.  My ability to relax when I was tired was improving daily.  When I got home, I stretched for a while.  A trigger point in my right soleus muscle responded well to massage and relieved any mild soreness in my right Achilles.  My feet had felt strong running in my New Balance 101’s.

Friday saw a short 4 mile run completely on pavement and as level as I could possibly find out my back door.  It was slow, but my legs felt strong.  No real speed in them, but that was not the point I continued to remind myself.  My form was in place and I cycled constantly through the ChiRunning focuses:  engaged core, lengthening my spine, aligned feet, soft ankles, floating ankles, relaxed shoulders, allowing pelvic rotation. Over and over. Running meditation.

Saturday morning, I met a woman for the first time through Meetup.com for a trail run on the Tahoe Rim Trail.  It’s difficult to find people who like to run long distance on trails, especially women, so I relished the opportunity to meet someone new and pass the time on the trail getting to know them.  It turned out that she and I have a lot in common – no kids, cats, pilots (she has made a career out of flying and I haven't flown since 1996), and of course, loves to run on trails.  We ran an easy 12 miles on rolling trail enjoying the beautiful scenery and views of the forest and Lake Tahoe.  And of course, I shared how ChiRunning had changed my life and gave her some tips over the course of the 2 hours on the trail.

Me and my new trail running friend, Tiffany

Trail on Tunnel Creek Road with Lake Tahoe in the distance

Today, I ran 9 miles up the trail behind my house.  When I started, I knew with certainty that I would finish this last run of the week with strength, good form, no pain and love every second.  Well almost every second.  The last mile was a bit of a slog.  I actually completed it at a good pace despite my fatigue.  I remember seeing an object silhouetted against the sky sitting on top of a huge earthmoving machine around my seventh mile.  It looked like a hawk, but as I approached it, I could see that it was just an exhaust pipe!  My mind was indeed fuzzy.  Half strength electrolyte solution saved me during that run which was just under two hours.  The temp was in the 80s when I finished.
The trail about a mile from my house
I ran almost 50 miles this week in about fifteen and a half hours.  I did two runs of 12 and 9 miles, back to back.  I slept great, ate healthy, and that unplanned recovery/rest day with two bottles of wine with my sister and brother in law was just the ticket! 

Thinking about doing 50 miles in one day in 12 hours seems absolutely daunting.  But this week was about getting closer to knowing that however I feel I can continue to run. 

The race is four weeks away.

No comments:

Post a Comment