Tuesday, September 6, 2011

My first post - I DID IT!

An amazing thing happened last night.  And as a result, this is the first entry in my blog where I will begin writing about my experiences training for my first 50 Mile Run.  I’ve been thinking about blogging for a while now.  Now I have a reason to, and if anyone finds value in it, great, but for now it is mostly for me.

So here’s the amazing thing - I did it! After talking to my friend Ron Nageotte, a veteran of 50 Mile runs and ultras, I decided to do it… last night I registered for my first 50 Mile Race – The Rock ‘N River 50, October 15, 2011.  As soon as I did it, I was scared.  Could I really do this?  I had done two Hawaii Ironman Triathlons in 1982 at the tender age of 21.  I had no idea what I was doing back then and simply raced on my youth and talent.  Now I’m 52 and actually think I can do 50 miles in 12 hours?  That’s about 14 ½ minute miles for 12 hours.  I did the Ironman in 11 ½ hours.  I guess I should be able to run for that long at that slow of a pace.

So today, I started some serious long distance training.  “Speed is not important now, it's all about the distance...long and slow,” Ron wrote to me last night after I told him I was registered.  Even now, as I coach others in ChiRunning, it is awesome to have someone to coach me.  Ron’s experience as an ultrarunner is invaluable to me.  He clearly knows the value of long slow distance training.  After completing the Tahoe Rim Trail 100 Mile run on July 16, he took his time recovering, enjoying easy runs at whatever length pleased him.  Then, on August 21, with training runs no longer than 10 miles he finished the Run on The Sly 50K with a PR of 6:18, 30 minutes faster than his 2010 time and winning his age group easily on a difficult, hilly trail run.

My easy 4 mile run today was a full 13 minutes slower than what I usually do this loop.  I kept my heart rate in the 120s.  Tomorrow, I will do a 15 mile run at the same very slow pace.  Long slow distance at a low heart rate.  I can do this.

And so it begins.  Serious training for a serious event.  I’m excited, not scared now.  I have confidence I can complete the 50 miles, but not certainty.  That is a good challenge to have and what a great thing to accomplish!

7 comments:

  1. You can do this, Cher. There's not a doubt in my mind.
    -Kel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Cheri. It'll be great.

    Love, Your Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you can do a 50 since you've been training for months. You just didn't know it. Just remember to start tapering in 2 weeks. ;0)
    Ted

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm jealous that I'm not that ready, I want to do one too! You can do it! I look forward to reading up on ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for taking us along on the journey! Bonne chance!

    BOB

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck! I have several friends who have done 100 milers. I think that all you ultramarathoners are nuts anyway. I will be interested to see what training does it take to run ultras.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, Cheryl! Nice blog...I'll look forward to reading it myself. We all need inspiration. You know what ya gotta do, so, just do it!

    ReplyDelete