Saturday, October 1, 2011

Endurance and Dogs

Scroll to the middle for pictures and a brief description of a beautiful run this week!  but first, a brief venture into a book review and what endurance is....

I just finished reading Dean Karnaze’s book, "50/50 Secrets I learned running 50 marathons in 50 days - and how you too can achieve super endurance!"; his account of running 50 marathons in 50 days in 2006.  I was struck by Dean’s amazing generosity, his resiliency and his flexibility to deal with the variety of conditions he and his support crew met each day for more than 7 weeks.  Mostly, though, I was impressed with this incredible athlete’s ability to endure day after day.  His average marathon time was 3 hours and 53 minutes with his fastest time at the New York City Marathon, the 50th and last marathon in his adventure, at an astonishing 3 hours.  Each chapter is about the marathon run that day, but he also cleverly uses it to discuss many aspects of running such as training basics, nutrition, shoes, his sponsor North Face, and running form.  Definitely one of my favorite books about running.

Dean was prepared.  Even with an amazing base and stellar resume as an ultramarathoner, his training leading up to his 50 day journey consisted of 6 months of 6 100 mile, or more races, 5 50 milers or 50Ks, 4 marathons and over 100 mile training weeks.

“Most people never get there. They're afraid or unwilling to demand enough of themselves and take the easy road, the path of least resistance. But struggling and suffering, as I now saw it, were the essence of a life worth living. If you're not pushing yourself beyond the comfort zone, if you're not constantly demanding more from yourself—expanding and learning as you go—you're choosing a numb existence. You're denying yourself an extraordinary trip.”
Dean Karnazes

My journey to run 50 miles has certainly been extraordinary!

Here’s another definition of endurance that I found on Facebook via the "I love to run"  page:


ENDURANCE

The ability to withstand hardship or adversity.

The ability to sustain a prolonged and stressful effort or activity.

 a prolonged and stressful effort or activity.
To undergo without giving in.
To regard with acceptance and tolerance.
To continue in the same state.
To remain firm without yielding.
To la
To undergo without giving in.

To regard with acceptance and tolerance.

To continue in the same state.

To remain firm without yielding.

To Last.


On Wednesday, we ran to Star Lake on the Tahoe Rim Trail – Ron and Ted and Carol and me with the three dogs. 

This section of the TRT begins at the Stage Coach lift on the Nevada side of Heavenly Ski Area at about 7,500 feet and meanders south with steady climbing to Star Lake at over 9,000 feet altitude. Total elevation gain of almost 3000 feet over 18 miles. Beautiful rolling trail with views of South Lake Tahoe and Desolation Wilderness on the west side.

From Left to right - Baily, Juneau and Echo

One of these days I'm going to put my Garmin on Echo and see how many miles he actually runs that day.  I know that we did 18, but between chasing squirrels, flushing grouse and just running wherever, I figure Echo did as much as 30 miles that day.  Amazing for such a little dog - he's tough and I adore running with him.

Juneau is Ron's new dog and is not even a year old yet.  He has some behavior issues, but Ted, the dog whisperer, has been doing some great work with him.  He's learned to run long with us and does quite well.

Baily rests with me on the way back from Star Lake
Baily is the old man of the dog pack - 8 years old and still running the long miles with us.  He runs between Ted and me on the trail.  When I follow too far behind he stays right in front of me and looks back to see if I'm still there.  If he goes too slow, I tell him to move up and he trots up to Ted.  He's happiest when we stay closer together.  That's a cooling vest he's wearing.


west end of Star Lake

The interesting part of this run was that at about 6 miles into it we decided to run to Star Lake which would be another 3 miles.  I didn’t think much of it, what's 18 miles versus 15 for the day?  I decided that the Nature Valley Bar I had in my pack would probably be enough.  Unfortunately, it really wasn’t, but my improved ability to endure and continue to run saved me.  Another milestone for sure.


Baily swims in Star Lake - what he didn't know was that he had 9 miles to run home afterwards!
An awesome day on the trail.  Baily was so tired that Ted had to lift him into the back of Ron's Subaru.  I had to drive Ron's Subaru which really wasn't a problem, but it was the first time and it's a manual transmission.  Ted made sure I missed the orange pylons in the parking lot while I figured out where first was.

When we got to Ted's house, Echo went to bed, Baily and Juneau crashed on the deck and Ted and I had juice, fruit and beer, in that order. 


No comments:

Post a Comment