Saturday, October 8, 2011

An Unexpected Pleasant Diversion

My student, Alice, ran her first 5K this morning at a local race.  Alice started working with me several months ago.  She was determined to learn the ChiRunning form and hesitantly confessed that she wanted to be able to run a 5K some day.  

Today was the day. 

The Cancer Firkin Sucks 5K Race is a flat, road run with a very slight hill at the beginning.  The morning was cool and crisp.  The perfect fall day for a fun race.  The crowd was a couple hundred runners and walkers, pink was the color for the day, of course, and tutus were everywhere.

T-shirt for the Cancer Firkin Sucks Race
A line of about 15 young women spanned the start line.  The crowd buzzed as the announcer counted down the seconds to the start.  By the way, the black and white photos were not intentional.  I think I pressed a menu button accidentally.  They are kinda cool tho.

The starting line
They took off with speed and energy, some smiling, some serious, some laughing.  I couldn’t see Alice in the crowd, so after the last walkers crossed the starting line I found myself standing there staring after them.  I started to trot at an easy pace and followed them down the street.

That kid in the front was cruising!

I paralleled the course for a block or two, took a wrong turn into a school parking lot, back tracked and worked my way back over to the course.  Eventually, I passed all the walkers and began to catch the runners.  

And there was Alice, running happily along somewhere early in that easy uphill.  She looked great!  She was wearing her long sleeved ChiRunning shirt and a straw hat with a pink scarf – very cute.

I ran alongside her and asked if she wanted me there or not.  She enjoyed the company and the coaching and we ran the rest of the race together.  She was working hard, but was not out of breath and easily spoke back to me.  I kept talking tho so she wouldn't have to.

Alice near the end of the race
By the last mile, she knew she was home free and I ran ahead of her to get pictures of her coming in to the finish line.  She finished well under the time she expected and felt like she had accomplished her goal.  Her first race!  I couldn't be prouder of her!

And, I felt wonderful.  A nice 3 mile trot with lots of people, lots of energy, lots of joy to be running. It was exactly what I needed.  I was so happy to be running!  This is what it’s supposed to feel like!  Easy and joyful.  It was light and comfortable and flat.  My legs wanted to keep going.  That is a good thing!

I will remember this feeling next Saturday!  No taper tantrums today!  Yahoo!

3 comments:

  1. Way to go Alice and Cheryl!!! (Mary Lindahl)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAHOO!!! Well done both of you! :)

    ReplyDelete